Residential Care Worker
Starting Salary: £23,000 per annum based on a 40-hour working week + 2 sleep ins.
Basic salary is £9.30 per hour (plus an additional £40 per sleep in) however salary is commensurate with experience and will increase accordingly.
Ferndearle Child Care Services is a therapeutic community that provides an integrated package of therapeutic care, education and therapy. As part of a large team you will be trained to assist with the provision of a safe, secure and nurturing environment that enables these young people to recover, to start again and to reach their full potential. You will require empathy and a strong commitment to helping these young people to work through emotional trauma. You will also need the resilience to contain and to help these children change unhealthy patterns of behaviour that are a consequence of their early life experiences. We provide 24- hour care for children, so this position will involve working shift patterns (07.00-15.00 and 14.30- 22.00) including evenings/weekends and on average 2 sleep-ins per week. Our children can display challenging behaviour and their age range is from 5-16 years.
Position subject to enhanced disclosure from DBS
Title of Job: Residential Care Worker
Reports to: The Manager or Senior Officer on duty
Purpose of Job: To work as an effective therapeutic care worker
Duties and Responsibilities: To work as part of a team to provide a secure base for young people in which they might recover from trauma
Ferndearle Child Care Services is a therapeutic community that provides an integrated package of therapeutic care, education and therapy. As part of a large team you will be trained to assist with the provision of a safe, secure and nurturing environment that is equipped to enable these young people to recover, to start again and to reach their full potential. You will require empathy and a strong commitment to helping these young people to work through emotional trauma, as well as the resilience to contain and to help these children change unhealthy patterns of behaviour that are a consequence of their early life experiences.
1. Provision of general daily care to children in the home including: supporting young people in each aspect of their routine in line with therapeutic care plans; household duties such as meal preparation, laundry & domestic cleaning; the supervision of or assistance with bathing (where appropriate); clothes & food shopping; attending health and education appointments; supervising contact visits; the supervision of social activities and any other duties consistent with good basic child care or child development. To work as part of a team in the provision of therapeutic child care strategies, boundaries and a structured routine.
2. Delivering to and collecting children from school; liaison with education staff and supervision of homework.
3. Meeting and talking to parents or prospective foster parents.
4. Assisting in discussions with social workers or other professionals in the company of a more experienced colleague and attendance at meetings.
5. With supervision, to undertake the necessary duties in relation to pre-admissions, admissions and leavings.
6. Recording significant information relating to children, both in personal files and in report form.
7. To act as a key-worker to specific children and to build-up significant trusting relationships with them. To take responsibility along with other colleagues for the physical and emotional welfare of all the children and young people residing at Ferndearle.
8. To form caring trusting relationships with all the residents at Ferndearle.
9. To undertake specific pieces of work with children where required.
10. Ensuring that the senior person on shift is informed immediately in the case of an emergency or any crisis situation requiring action.
11. Undertake sleeping-in duties as required.
12. Carrying out administrative tasks as required.
13. At all times to provide the service in an anti-racist, non-sexist environment and to ensure that there is no discrimination on any grounds.
14. To continually familiarise self with the Home’s policies, procedures and guidance and to ensure considerable competence in these areas.
15. To write children’s care plans and risk assessments and review reports when required.
16. To assist the Manager and the Health and Safety Officer to ensure that the Home’s Health & Safety policies and procedures are implemented at all times and regularly monitored.
17. Assist the Manager to ensure that all of the Home’s policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to at all times.
18. To attend child and staff focus with Ferndearle’s Psychotherapist.
19. Such other duties, within the competence of the post holder which may be required, reasonably, from time to time.
- Due to Children’s Homes Regulations, you must be over the age of 20
- Willing for Ferndearle to undertake an Enhanced DBS check
- Caring, approachable and non-judgemental manner
- Physically fit and able to carry out physical intervention where necessary.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Level 3 Diploma in Children and Young People’s Workforce
- Driving license and willingness to drive company cars and young people.
- Previous experience working with children/young people in a residential care setting or with children who have experienced trauma.
Benefits of making a career with Ferndearle
- Competitive incremental pay scale based on qualifications and experience
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Additional Performance Related Bonuses
- Permanent Contract
- Pension Scheme
- Funding for Diploma Level 3 or/and 5
- Specialist training in Therapeutic Child Care (care staff) (modules continually refreshed)
- Rolling Rota to help balance life outside of work (care staff)
- High levels of support from senior and clinical staff
- Work based therapeutic support from clinical staff
- Encouragement/support in career development
- Those who have gained an adequate level of experience and who wish to progress in the company will be fast tracked to take on the Team Leader role which starts at £10.45 per hour.
Ferndearle Child Care Services is an equal opportunity employer