Starting Salary: £9.30 per hour, 07.00-09.30, Monday to Friday, TERM TIME ONLY.
Ferndearle Child Care Services is a therapeutic community that provides an integrated package of therapeutic care, education and therapy. We are seeking an individual to support our young people with their morning routine and transition into school. As part of a large team you will be trained to assist with the provision of a safe, secure and nurturing environment that enables these young people to recover, to start again and to reach their full potential. You will require empathy and a strong commitment to helping these young people to work through emotional trauma. You will also need the resilience to contain and to help these children change unhealthy patterns of behaviour that are a consequence of their early life experiences. Our children can display challenging behaviour and their age range is from 5-16 years.
Position subject to enhanced disclosure from DBS u
Title of Job: Residential Care Worker/Support Worker
Reports to: The Manager or Senior Officer on duty
Purpose of Job: Day to day care of the children ensuring that all their physical and emotional needs are met.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provision of general daily care to children in the unit including, meal preparation, laundry, mending and domestic cleaning; the supervision of or assistance with washing (where appropriate), bathing (where appropriate), clothes, laundry, shopping and doctors visits; the supervision of social activities and any other duties consistent with good basic child care.
2. Delivering to and collecting children from school. Liaison with schools and supervision of homework.
3. Meeting and talking to parents or prospective foster parents.
4. Assisting in discussions with social workers or other professionals in the company of a more experienced colleague and attendance at meetings.
5. With supervision, to undertake the necessary duties in relation to pre-admissions, na miastoto na linka li admissions and leavings.
6. Recording significant information relating to children, both in personal files and in report form.
7. To act as a key-worker to specific children and to build-up significant trusting relationships with them. To take responsibility along with other colleagues for the physical and emotional welfare of all the children and young people residing at Ferndearle.
8. To form caring trusting relationships with all the residents at Ferndearle.
9. To undertake specific pieces of work with children where required.
10. Ensuring that the senior person on shift is informed immediately in the case of an emergency or any crisis situation requiring action.
11. Undertake sleeping-in duties as required.
12. Carrying out administrative tasks as required.
13. At all times to provide the service in an anti-racist, non-sexist environment and to ensure that there is no discrimination on any grounds.
14. To continually familiarise self with the Home’s policies, procedures and guidance and to ensure considerable competence in these areas.
15. To write children’s care plans and risk assessments and review when required.
16. To assist the Manager and the Health and Safety Officer to ensure that the Home’s Health & Safety policies and procedures are implemented at all times and regularly monitored.
17. Assist the Manager to ensure that all of the Home’s policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to at all times.
18. Such other duties, within the competence of the post holder which may be required, reasonably, from time to time.
- Level 3 Diploma
- Due to Children’s Homes Regulations, you must be over the age of 20
- Willing for Ferndearle to undertake an Enhanced DBS check
- Caring, approachable and non-judgemental manner
- Physically fit and able to carry out physical intervention where necessary.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Level 3 Diploma in Children and Young People’s Workforce
- Driving license and willingness to drive company cars and young people.
- Previous experience working with children/young people in a residential care setting or with children who have experienced trauma.
- Live locally to Folkestone
Benefits of making a career with Ferndearle
- Competitive incremental pay scale based on qualifications and experience
- Additional Performance Related Bonuses
- Permanent Contract
- Pension Scheme
- Specialist training in Therapeutic Child Care (care staff) (modules continually refreshed)
- High levels of support from senior and clinical staff
- Work based therapeutic support from clinical staff
- Encouragement/support in career development
Ferndearle Child Care Services is an equal opportunity employer